All right, the secret is out… I was so incredibly over Winter and it’s dreariness. In fact, I’m ready to skip Spring too and head straight for Summer a.k.a. Grilling Season. Nothing excites me more than the thought of charred burgers, grilled corn on the cob and oozing fruit-filled desserts. Oh, and the mouth-watering smoky smell of barbecue…but I digress!
So, with some sunshine this past weekend, those in the Northwest do what they do best: bring out the grill! Even though this might have been a little premature (yes, I did attempt to wear a dress and found I was a little bit too ambitious… it was still cold!), I was ecstatic to get my “grill on” even if that meant wearing a light jacket and pants.
For this weekend, we decided to make Southwest Chicken Burgers with Grilled Lime Corn Salad.
The best part about this recipe? No exact sizes of ingredients needed – just some good ‘ole eyeballing and taste-testing!
Southwest Chicken Burgers
Pepper Jack Cheese
Salt and Pepper
1. Mix ground chicken together with garlic, black beans, green peppers, red onion, cilantro and corn. Add salt and pepper.
2. Form ground chicken mixture into patties.
3. Put onto grill. Grill on each side for a few minutes (test to make sure that it is cooked all the way through).
4. At the last minute of grilling, add a slice of pepper jack cheese and toast buns.
5. Assemble buns and chicken patties together. Add necessary other sauces!
Grilled Lime Corn Salad
Salt and Pepper
1. Grill corn
2. Add grilled corn with chopped red onion, green peppers, cilantro.
3. Mix lime juice with olive oil to taste. Add dressing to corn mixture.
4. Serve immediately (with above chicken burger of course)!
I think the key in both of these items is the use of cilantro. It’s not often that I use it; however, when I do, it feels the same way that a fashionista would utilize a statement piece.
Overall, a nice change from the usual burger and a great mix of flavors!
Cheers to Grilling Season!